- Increased awareness of the challenges, opportunities and potential solutions to increase women’s economic empowerment in the energy sector across the Pacific region;
- Increased knowledge and understanding within SPC and participating national governments of how to address women’s economic empowerment issues in the energy sector;
- Increased number of tools available to SPC and participating national governments to implement the revised Pacific Energy and Gender Network Strategic Action Plan (PEG SAP);
- Qualitative improvements in the original PEG SAP for 2020-2030.
Since 2015 the PEG Network has been inactive mainly due to financial constraints, and no specific work on gender and energy is being undertaken at a regional level. This is a concern since gender equality remains largely rhetorical for many women in the Pacific, where women’s economic inclusion continues to remain a challenge. This CTIF project will contribute to re-activate the PEG Network and strengthen its ability to fulfil its mandate.
The project will address the following regional policies:
- The Pacific Leaders’ Gender Equality Declaration 2012
- The Pacific Platform for Project on Gender Equality and Women’s Human Rights 2018–2030;
- The Framework on Energy Security in the Pacific 2010-2020;
- The Framework for Resilient Development in the Pacific 2017-2030;
- The Pacific Community’s Strategic Plan 2016-2020.
The project will contribute to achieve positive development outcomes by advocating for gender equality, promoting education and career opportunities for women and improving women’s access to financial services.